Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Recommended Reading

Pete Hautman is an exceptional writer. He writes the way I'd like to: lean, engaging, and funny. (See here for the story of how I met Pete.)

Pete won the National Book Award for his YA novel, Godless, a tantalizing story about a group of teenagers who create their own religion around a water tower.

I'm working my way through Pete's catalog: I started with Rash, winner of the 2006 Golden Duck Award, moved on to Godless, and am currently enjoying Sweetblood.

I can't recommend Pete's work highly enough. Get thee to Amazon (or your favorite bookseller) and see what you (and everybody who hasn't discovered this wonderful Minnesota author) have been missing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read "Godless" a few years ago. It was a real page turner.
4.5 out of 5 stars.

Anonymous said...

On an entirely different subject, Scott, do you have something big planned for "EEK!" tomorrow on Halloween?

(Sorry to clutter this post with an unrelated comment; I didn't know where else to post it.)

Scott Nickel said...

Every day is Halloween at EEK!

Anonymous said...

Very true.

scotthilburn said...

Just wanted to comment on your comic from 10/25. It's one of my favs! Wish I'd thought of it. Damn.

Scott Nickel said...

"The Amish Hand Saw Massacre"?

http://www.gocomics.com/eek/2007/10/25/

Thanks! Obviously I have a thing for the Amish. But I also like poking fun at Scientology too.

What does that say about me?

Scott