Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Holy @*##!

I’m not sure how long this has been going on, but TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is now showing, unedited, uncensored, and unbelievably good films from the 1970s, 80s and 90s.

I just re-watched Network, and the station didn’t bleep one F-word, or cut one second of the William Holden/Fay Dunaway sex scene. And this is basic cable, people. AMC has been chopping up its "contemporary" films for years, and tossing in tons of commercials. (I couldn’t bear to watch the way they recently butchered Deliverance.)

In an era of insane FCC fines for "wardrobe malfunctions" and "obscenities," TCM should be commended for having the nads (and integrity) to air classic movies – of any era -- intact and uncut.

As a film aficionado, I’ve long appreciated TCM for its wide selection of black and white classics, including an impressive library of silent films. But I admit it’s been awhile since I’ve watched the channel. I now have a new reason to tune in.

Coming up this week: The Big Chill, Prizzi’s Honor, and Shaft!

Fire up the DVR!

No comments: